Friday, January 3, 2014

Coffee and... Honey?

A couple of years ago I was with some friends in Budapest. In the evening we all went to a cafe. Looking at the card, I saw café mélange. Not knowing what it is, I asked a friend about it. To this day I'm not sure if she was joking or not, but she replied it's "coffee with honey."




Being coffee maniac that I am, plus being a huge honey fan, I ordered the drink. It was rather sweet, and I enjoyed it a lot. Only later did I find out café mélange actually hasn't got a thing to do with honey (to my knowledge).



However, despite the misinformation, I did start to sweeten my coffee with honey, usually to the bewildered gaze of my family, friends and co-workers. Who the hell puts honey in coffee? In popular mind, it just doesn't mix. Coffee's bitter, liquid and black as night. Honey's sweet, viscous and looks like sunshiny goodness.


Warning: this honey jar may not be to scale

Actually - the these two fit like a glove. Opposites do attract, at least in this case. Warm coffee makes honey easy to dilute, and coffee itself tastes much better than when it's mixed with plain old sugar (white or brown). Of course, people have different tastes, but I find taste of honey much more appealing.

And let us not forget - honey has many health benefits. It is possibly the only human food that never spoils (edible honey was found in Egyptian pyramids, and was used in mummification process as well). It kills bacteria and relieves cough. It should not be given to children under one year of age, but anyone older should enjoy this true blessing of nature.


No comments:

Post a Comment